Thursday 1 May 2014

Surprising energy vultures - simple tips to reduce energy usage

The energy monitor has arrived! The reviews did warn that it could be addictive and it is.

I thought I had a fairly good grasp on the appliances and devices that used the most energy but the results have been quite eye opening.

So here are the surprises:


The induction hob

The induction hob  
Just one ring uses more power per minute than the washing machine in full spin!

Energy Saving Tip
Use the correct heat setting as energy usage falls with the temperature. Consider using a slow cooker or Wonderbag for cooking items that need longer.
Double up by using a steamer so more than one thing can cook on a           single ring.
Reuse boiled water for cooking other veg or adding to a stock pot.



The grill
Switching from the double grill setting to the single grill makes a fairly significant difference. Think about whether the lower setting will do.



The Kettle 
I knew it was a high energy user but I didn't realise just how much it used

Energy Saving Tip
Boil only what you need or transfer any excess to a flask, this isn't as much of a pain as I thought it might be and it's evern quicker to make a cup of tea as there is no waiting for the kettle!



The Toaster   
I just hadn't really thought about this onebut it does draw quite alot of power.


The kitchen halogen spot lights
These use considerable more power than normal lights and the down lighters under the cabinets.




Here's how the energy consumption of the appliances compares: -



So if I was to cook a pot roast beef I could expect:

 

My trusty slow cooker comes out the clear winner for cost and energy consumption and it is a really simple way to cook. I'll be using it and the Wonderbag even more now I have seen the difference in consumption.  I will also be looking at replacing the halogen spots with LEDs if possible to reduce the power drawn by the kitchen lights.

What surprises have you found when monitoring energy? There is some great inspriation on energy saving tips in My Make Do and Mend Year.



































No comments:

Post a Comment